Friday 25 February 2011

The Story of the Rainbow

Once upon a time, all the colours in the world started to quarrel, each claiming that they were the best.
Green said: ‘Clearly I am the most important. I am the sign of life and hope. I was chosen for grass, trees and leaves.’
Blue interrupted: ‘ You only think about the earth, but consider the sky and the sea. Water is the basis of life.’
Yellow chuckled: ‘You are all so serious. I bring laughter, gaiety and warmth into the world. The sun is yellow.’
Orange started to blow his own trumpet: ‘I am the colour of health and strength. I serve the inner needs of human life.’
Red could stand it no longer. He shouted out: ‘I’m the ruler of you all, blood, life’s blood. I am the colour of passion and danger.’
Purple rose up to his full height. He was very tall and spoke with great pomp: ‘I am the colour of royalty and power.’
Indigo spoke much more quietly than all the others, but just as determinedly: ‘Think of me. I am the colour of silence and peace.’

And so all the colours went on boasting, each convinced they were the best until suddenly there was thunder and lightning and torrential rain. The colours all crouched down, close together in fear.

Then rain spoke: ’You foolish colours; Do you not know that God loves you all and made each of you for a special purpose, unique and different. Come now with me and we will stretch you across the sky in a great bow of colour, so that you remember to appreciate each other.
This is a reminder of God’s promise, that he is with you, and a sign of hope for tomorrow.’
                                                                                    (adapted from an Indian legend)

No comments:

Post a Comment